Ghost Fleets

Report bugs or help with technical issues
Cumberlow
Vanguard
Vanguard

Ghost Fleets

Post by Cumberlow »

When moving fleets I routinely get a second ghost image on the map. More of an annoyance when trying to work out where fleets are but as this is now beta it should be looked at. I don't have the same issue with single ships, just fleets.

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Ghost Fleets

Post by Grogger »

The other icons you're seeing are ships that are not in the same sector as the rest of it's task force.
This happens because some ships travel faster than others, or one ship's engines are destroyed, etc...

Madbiologist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Madbiologist »

I was wondering about that. I knew the effect but wondered why fleets didn't stayed in formation as it were. I mean as in the the fleet will stay together in the same sector travelling at the speed of the slowest ship in the fleet.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

We can add some info there that explains why a ship is greyed out in the taskforce list to make this more obvious.

The other option is to move at the slowest ship speed in the task force. But if a ship is crippled, it will end up holding off the whole group.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

GDJOnline
Voyager
Voyager

Post by GDJOnline »

Sorry, I see this is a bit of an old post, but just an observation - isn't one of the functions of a fleet to provide mutual support to the other ships in the fleet? In a RL wet navy fleet I would guess that some ships would be faster than others (frigates vs aircraft carrier for example), but due to the roles they would all travel at the same speed to ensure that they could all perform there roles in an integrated manner.... I think an enemy would love it if the frigates all arrived first, followed by the cruisers 30 mins later, followed by the carrier, 90 mins later, and finally the support vessels 3 hours after the combat had ended.

I would suggest that it would make sense for all ships in a fleet to travel at the speed of the slowest vessel - this seems to resolve some of the issues discussed above around keeping vessels together when in the tactical view for support during combat and during movement. Based on the above discussion it sounds like a fleet's purpose in game is a tool to group vessels together in order to give them orders.

I think if you limit fleet speed to the slowest vessel you're also introducing some interesting game play decisions:
Do I keep my slow but powerful ships in the fleet when I need to rush over to defend that planet?
Do I detach my damaged cruiser so the rest of my ships can escape or fight to the last?

Apologies for jumping in with my two cents - only just purchased and downloaded the game and browsing the forums for tips, so I don't have any experience with the game yet.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Welcome GDJ:

I agree with your observations, I think it will be a good change so I'm planning on making these changes in the next updates which should also help with some other issues.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf