Research

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Floorboss
Voyager
Voyager

Research

Post by Floorboss »

When researching things could you please adjust the size of the letters in the game. Also im use to playing MOO2 where you research better things. On this game I cant tell which is better and which is not.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Research

Post by Lithari »

Well, they all have their upsides and downsides, no weapon is better then another, its down to preference, do you prefer laser cannons? or perhaps particle cannons?...its definitely a preference thing.

Floorboss
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Floorboss »

ok Im having trouble destroying emeny ships with different weapons. I have higer tech/weapon upgrades but miss alot. Also cant figure out what to build on planets that are abundant and or poor. I try to keep food above the minus mark but not sure. Just wished the game had better instructions. Like I unlocked transforming and have no idea how to use it on a planet and or how to build a mining colony.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Floorboss wrote:ok Im having trouble destroying emeny ships with different weapons. I have higer tech/weapon upgrades but miss alot. Also cant figure out what to build on planets that are abundant and or poor. I try to keep food above the minus mark but not sure. Just wished the game had better instructions. Like I unlocked transforming and have no idea how to use it on a planet and or how to build a mining colony.
Ok, well the terraforming is done via the planet controls, when you are on a colony screen, you see a world saying 'maintain' ? you can click it to show clean, neglect, terraform, but terraform only appears when its possible, if its a toxic world, clean up the pollution first, if its your native planet type, its already at the best quality possible.

Well, i always make sure that my race is customized in a way that it has interstellar broadcasting from the start, then i can make a good amount of credits via trading between my own colonies, it renders industry pointless to build, i also make sure to make my race immaterial so i don't need any food, which makes that pointless to build also. :-)

Its how i do it.

Floorboss
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Floorboss »

ok thx I have been doing new game without editing the race. Playing humans. Its a good game I think it just need extra tweeks.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Floorboss wrote:ok thx I have been doing new game without editing the race. Playing humans. Its a good game I think it just need extra tweeks.
Well, they have added in the new advanced race creation feature, though you need to put something into the horizon.ini file in your documents folder, the instructions are in the latest patch notes.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

If you miss allot when using attacking other ships, try researching upgrades to your targeting computers.
If the enemy has high ECM against your low targeting you will miss allot.

SF-Mike
Voyager
Voyager

Post by SF-Mike »

Lithari wrote:Well, they all have their upsides and downsides, no weapon is better then another, its down to preference, do you prefer laser cannons? or perhaps particle cannons?...its definitely a preference thing.
Ok, I think this was the final nail in the coffin for me on this game. Part of the fun of the a 4X game is that you research new and exciting technologies (better ways to crush your opponents). While there's a neat aspect to having different races having different methods of propulsion or weapons, when they're all very close to the same it makes it a whole lot less fun. While I know there are different levels to each item, there isn't that much of a change for Nuclear engines you go from 40 moves per turn to a whopping what 48 moves per turn? And this is the apex of research?

Hopefully at some later time the game will be easily moddable and changing technologies will be possible, at the very least make the difference between level 1 and level 10 be night and day.

FrozenFallout
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FrozenFallout »

SF-Mike wrote:
Lithari wrote:Well, they all have their upsides and downsides, no weapon is better then another, its down to preference, do you prefer laser cannons? or perhaps particle cannons?...its definitely a preference thing.
Ok, I think this was the final nail in the coffin for me on this game. Part of the fun of the a 4X game is that you research new and exciting technologies (better ways to crush your opponents). While there's a neat aspect to having different races having different methods of propulsion or weapons, when they're all very close to the same it makes it a whole lot less fun. While I know there are different levels to each item, there isn't that much of a change for Nuclear engines you go from 40 moves per turn to a whopping what 48 moves per turn? And this is the apex of research?

Hopefully at some later time the game will be easily moddable and changing technologies will be possible, at the very least make the difference between level 1 and level 10 be night and day.
I have to agree with this. I was really looking forward in the beta to testing out all the different techs as they evolved but it would seem that they where put on a very low priority compared to modding your race or planet building.

Not much has changed since Alpha in regards to the different techs. Engines are all still basically the same with small differences in cost and the like but in the end they are all basicly the same tech. Also Power system techs aren't even really working proper at this point since you always have way more power then you will ever use so you never need to upgrade to even level 2 nuke power let allow worry about all the other power systems. Along with how weapons are basically the same with small differences in the special it makes it really hard to get immersed in the game when you tech options are basically nonexistent due to how close they are to each other. I have made a few suggestions on how to improve tactical combat and I think one major thing still missing is different techs having differences between them.

I haven't had much time as of late but I plan on doing an Expanded Mod on Horizon, basically going in and messing with all the weapon, engine, and power techs to make them very different from each other and give you some cool things to find while adventuring out in the deep dark bowels of space. After that I want to start work on a Babylon 5 mod which will be much more work. TBH I havent looked but last time I tried I couldn't mod any of the tech. Im hoping this has been changed or they will open up such modding to us in the future.