What does communication during combat phase do?

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

What does communication during combat phase do?

Post by Xyquas »

In a combat today I accidentially pressed "c" and this opened a communication window. I could see all my fleets and planets in there and even sort the list. I clicked on a row and this switched my view to the sector of the clicked item.

Now my question: Does anybody exactly know what this window is intended for? I haven't found a description in the manual nor was it mentioned in tutorials. Is this maybe the possibility to control more than one combat per turn? It seemed that my left combat ran on auto mode until I returned.
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: What does communication during combat phase do?

Post by Zaimat »

Communications (there is a button for it or C) let's you preview your other task forces, whether they are in combat and so on, so you can switch to other sectors/battles. You can do this any time.

Normally you handle combat per sector and you get notifications about combat in other sectors in the combat log window. You can click on those messages to switch sectors / control other battles or use the Com window. You can switch as many times as you want, but rounds progress in all sectors simultaneously.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

Can I use this feature to control more than one combat at once? I mean could I move all my ships in sector 1:10 and before hitting finish (turn) switch to sector 3:24 to move my ships there, switching back to 1:10 for the next combat turn?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Xyquas wrote:Can I use this feature to control more than one combat at once? I mean could I move all my ships in sector 1:10 and before hitting finish (turn) switch to sector 3:24 to move my ships there, switching back to 1:10 for the next combat turn?
Not as you describe it in the current system because the AI takes over your ships while you are in control of another sector. The system was designed to allow control of one sector at a time but be able to switch focus at any time.

We are looking to serialize the combat system, if we do this it will allow control sector by sector and even smaller areas, in their own time bubble.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

Zaimat wrote:We are looking to serialize the combat system, if we do this it will allow control sector by sector and even smaller areas, in their own time bubble.
Generally, I like the idea that all combats take place at the same time and it would make me sad seeing this unique game mechanic being gone. For me the criticism goes to the auto combat mode because it often does stupid things I did not intend to be done - such as standing in one edge of one of my sectors playing cards while hostile troops are sent to my planet within :-( Even patrol order doesn't help reliably in this case.
What I'm trying to say is this: Leave combat time like it is - that's fine and it's unique for horizon. Just give the player better general control on how his fleets behave (subspace communication: "HQ to Fleet 25 - intercept any hostile forces you see in sector Yergat").

In fact, it was very exhausting in MOO2 when I had a turn with 3 or even more large fights - at this point the game was not fun anymore, it was business to do. And that's something I don't want to happen while playing.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I believe that the solution to this would be to allow both options in the game. One where you can keep the current mode of combat where you can only control one engagement at a time and an advanced mode that would allow you to fight every battle in every sector.
keller~