Troop transport exploit?

Feature requests or ideas
Dialtone
Citizen
Citizen

Troop transport exploit?

Post by Dialtone »

First off I'm assuming it's an exploit to be able to unload a transport of troops onto an owned planet and get a free complement of replacement troops, I could be wrong. When you drop troops onto enemy planets you have to return your troop ships and manually order them to load troops, doing this actually removes the troops from the planet, no free troops.

Here's my suggestions of what should be done about the situation.

• Take away the free compliment of replacement troops when droping troops on your own planets. Keeping things consistant for all drops by transports.

• When you right click on a barracks while in planet view, the display of number of soldiers disappears. This led me to an idea that would make getting troops to the front lines easier than the current method, and with no free troops. What if right clicking on a barracks would request that troops be sent from planets with large numbers of troops, say over 50% of barracks cap. Then instead of having to use military transports to move troops around, you could rely on the behind the scene freighters that are moving goods around your empire already. In game terms subtract troops from one or more planets and add to the new planet, but with a X amount turn delay based on distance, the behind the scenes freighters are arbitrary anyway.

• Add an extra number under the current number of soldiers available at a barracks, showing how many soldiers are coming and when.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Troop transport exploit?

Post by Zaimat »

Yup, it's an exploit all right. Will try to find a good quick fix to close it without removing the automatic refill ability.

In regards to transferring between colonies. I'll give it some thought but the main thing is always making it very transparent to players. We removed Right-clicking etc (as you found out, a bit of leftover, used to display some info) for this reason.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

null
Explorer
Explorer

Post by null »

Perhaps limit the automatic troop refill to planets with both a barracks and native/assimilated populations? Since the ratio of civilians to soldiers is very high it could be rationalized as the troopships picking up civilians and training them for active duty. They do have a year after all, ever hear of a '90 day wonder'?

This would prevent you from tanking up on 'free' troops immediately after a conquest. You could still build up massive forces on friendly planets though...

P.S. How exactly does the growth of defensive troops via barracks work? I'm still not sure what variables effect it or if there is some hard upper limit (especially when dropping reinforcements from troopships).

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

null wrote:P.S. How exactly does the growth of defensive troops via barracks work? I'm still not sure what variables effect it or if there is some hard upper limit (especially when dropping reinforcements from troopships).
The soldier growth rate cap is based on the colony population and there is a maximum troops hard-cap based on the barracks size.

The growth rate has some random factor but is the same for each race every turn. Warrior races get double sized barracks (twice the maximum cap) and double the growth rates.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf