Battle complains 3: Stations and planets

Feature requests or ideas
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Battle complains 3: Stations and planets

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

There is one thing that is utterly wrong with the planets and stations: they are slowest units in the game. It is utterly wrong, as for me. Every planet and battle station have scanners much better than any mobile ship (well, at least, in theory :), so they can totally prepare to the incoming invasion.

In game it's just opposite: stations and planets moves _last_, that makes them sitting ducks. Ok, planet have _some_ chances with it's shield (not too good against any decent squadron of bombers), but stations are defenseless at best: when their turn arrives, enemy already unloaded all arsenal into one small station shield.

So my proposal that will dramatically increase planet/station hardiness is: give them the very first priority, instead the very last.

While priority is totally enough for the station, planet have another hard problem: amount of attacks. Two attacks per turn (missiles plus lasers) means that it can take out two targets at best. It means again that any decent bomber squad will eliminate everyone before too late, even if planet will attack first and kill 2 bombers per turn.

So consideration: divide missile and laser attack for several lesser points. Like, 3-4 for example? It will immediately make planet what it _must_ be: serious defending enemy. :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Battle complains 3: Stations and planets

Post by Zaimat »

It's an interesting idea making the station attack first, I'll consider that one.

But I don't want to change the balance for planet/stations defense, if they are too strong it will mean the AI (and player) has to build and gather more ships to successfully attack a defended planet even without ships.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:It's an interesting idea making the station attack first, I'll consider that one.
But not planet? ;) Ok, thank you for that at least.
But I don't want to change the balance for planet/stations defense, if they are too strong it will mean the AI (and player) has to build and gather more ships to successfully attack a defended planet even without ships.
Umm... but-but-but it is very point of planetary defense! %) What is the reason to make it too weak? Why whole big planet must be weaker than simple medium ship?

Again: right now, you don't need to expend any ships at all to disable the planet. I have maximum tech, and my bombers can take out planetary defense in one turn. 5 bombers, stripped to engine and bombs, without any extra modifications, to be exact. Ok, on non-maximum I will need ten. And that's all.

If you'll simply change turn order, I will lose 2 of this bombers before late. Still not very threating, eh?

But if it will be at least 3 laser attacks and 3 missile ones per turn, I'll lose 3 defenseless bombers at the first turn at very least, and 6 if not get countermeasures against missiles. And that will make some _challenge_ in this battle! :)

(If you think that 3 is too much on the current level, then maybe divide current raw power for 3 shots?)

(BTW, strictly speaking, I am talking about _attack_ here in both cases. Just in case I told something wrong before. :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Yes I will consider planets attacking first also sorry for the omission.. I will see about giving planets more boost beyond that.

What I have observed is that early in the game, it's easier to defend planets (this is good and desirable) so if they are too powerful it dissuades any combat.
But later in game ships can become very powerful so you need more ships to defend planets vs other ships.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:What I have observed is that early in the game, it's easier to defend planets (this is good and desirable) so if they are too powerful it dissuades any combat.
Again: I suggest to keep current power of the planet - raw power is enough. It's only very ineffective. :) But divide it for 3 points - (3 for missiles, 3 for lasers) - and it will be enough. That way planet will keep the same level of threat against bigger ships - but will be immensely more effective against multitude lesser ones. Right now planet is practically powerless against "scout/bomber spam" because of too low rate of fire. And no, while it dissuade early planet attacks (that is good! :), it still easily can be countered in later game, if I _really_ want this planet. :)

Of course, I can underestimate this power in the mix "ship defenders+planet", but I think it still can be countered with drawing battle out from the planet, so nothing too bad expected.