Dyson Sphere and Gas Giants transforming

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Tsadkiel
Voyager
Voyager

Dyson Sphere and Gas Giants transforming

Post by Tsadkiel »

Greetings to all.

Will there be a option for building mega structures like Doom-Stars (Death Stars) or Dyson Sphere similar to Space Empires V? What to the other players think about such ideas and as including in the game.

I would also like to know if there will be a late game option to transform gas giants into barren planets like in master of orion 2?

What do you think? :P

CellNav
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dyson Sphere and Gas Giants transforming

Post by CellNav »

Hello Tsadkiel,

Starting with a mobile star base early which can lead to a Death Star later would be nice. It could extend our supply lines initially and as technology advanced it would become a very difficult opponent indeed !!

Colonizing gas giants seems a bit far fetched, however we could have a star base orbital platform at the gas giant for entertainment or industrial purposes.
Don't let me wake up and catch you sleeping !!!

Tsadkiel
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Tsadkiel »

Nice Idea CellNav!

I really would like that there is more usw for gas giants. In most games they are complete useless beside they have good gas resources. only game that really uses gas giants for supply (or similar) is distant worlds. moo2 makes gas giants only available as the last step of terraforming technology... or the most highest point beside megastructure buildings.

Cailean556
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Cailean556 »

Space Empires V had you being able to colonise Gas Giants by building sky cities in the upper atmosphere - at least that's the impression you get when you look at the colony pic... Mass Effect has Gas Giants being a major source of Helium-3 (and Eezo - Element Zero - I think). Perhaps, with the right tech, we could mine Gas Giants using orbital platforms (perhaps constructed by a specially outfitted medium-size ship?) and gain a system wide increase to industry? I too would like some useful erm...use...for Gas Giants.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

I think the best things to build around gas giants would be mining stations, but it would be cool to be able to turn gas giants into planets, not that I see that as possible, but I think it should be possible to build an outpost in deep space and for that to determine the distance I can explore instead of having to need to put on cargo bays for fuel.

Cumberlow
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Cumberlow »

CellNav wrote:
Colonizing gas giants seems a bit far fetched, however we could have a star base orbital platform at the gas giant for entertainment or industrial purposes.
I think you and the game are missing the point that gas giants are likely to have many moons associated with them which could be colonised etc and offer a lot of variety.

CellNav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CellNav »

Cumberlow wrote: I think you and the game are missing the point that gas giants are likely to have many moons associated with them which could be colonised etc and offer a lot of variety.
Oh yes, the moons ... I did miss the point on that one!

Moons are so tiny I can't see them being profitable unless they change that, even Pluto (or Mars for that matter) isn't too inviting. At the very least, yes, adding moons to setup a listening post that eventually gets to a colony would be a nice change. I don't think other 4X games do this, I'm not too sure on that.
Don't let me wake up and catch you sleeping !!!

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Well, maybe they could round up the max population on the worlds and their moons, so for example, Jupiter has like 40+ moons, I wonder how many people could live on all of them (technology permitting).

I am thinking, ALOT and if they added in a new tech to mine the gas from the gas giant, then you can have a purpose for colonizing them, to mine the gases and those can be used for fuel, you know how every x amount of turns, the supplies refresh on the ships, maybe we could mine the gas giants for fuel??

Amadeus
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Planet Transforming

Post by Amadeus »

I would like to see what I need to research for any kind of Terraforming. The techtree seems to be low informative about that.

Soldaris
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Soldaris »

Speaking of games that use Gas Giants, Endless Space uses them nicely. Endless Space also makes asteroids available for colonization and mining. Of course the population limits on gas giants and asteroids are lower however there are large mining and scientific bonuses. Horizon could use this idea too