Can someone explain Supply?

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
pinback
Explorer
Explorer

Can someone explain Supply?

Post by pinback »

I build a couple of scout ships. After one turn or so, I get the notice that they're out of supply. Hovering over them shows "Supply: 0/0 turns". The next turn, I get a notice that they've been resupplied. They still show "Supply: 0/0 turns". The next turn, I get the out-of-supply notice again.

This is right at the beginning of a new game.

Are there bugs here or do I just completely not understand what's happening?

Other than that, I haven't been this excited for a space 4x offering in a long time. A MOO for the new generation? It's what it's starting to taste like... and that tastes good.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can someone explain Supply?

Post by Lithari »

I notice the same thing, maybe its something that isn't fully explained by the game, it is in the alpha stage, so there are bound to be bugs or mistakes, like the amount of spelling mistakes I have seen.

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

you arent supposed to go further than your supply will allow. supply = fuel iirc

however i you can go further out of your supply range. its just slower
=(^.-.^)=

" A person can look for their one true love and find them, but could they look like the one true love for the person they find. " - Fairin

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Well, I discovered that cargo space increases the supply limit, I just thought it was useful to transports......but now I know.

Cumberlow
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Cumberlow »

Lithari wrote:Well, I discovered that cargo space increases the supply limit, I just thought it was useful to transports......but now I know.
Nice tip. I'll try that out tonight. Was wondering what good they were.

Gray Carlyle
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Gray Carlyle »

Cool, did´nt know cargo space was for that, thanks.

pinback
Explorer
Explorer

Post by pinback »

Fairin wrote:you arent supposed to go further than your supply will allow. supply = fuel iirc

I understand this part. However, it looks like scouts always have zero supply, so the game flip-flops between telling you they're in supply or out, and they can't seem to make full moves.

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jorgen_cab »

I make dedicated medium Cargo ships with three cargo slots and two light lasers.

So far I have not put any cargo slots on any combat ships. I just add Cargo ships to task forces as needed.

My scout task-forces are one Cargo ship and two Scout ships. Seems to work nicely enough... ;)

Spazticus
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Spazticus »

pinback wrote:
Fairin wrote:you arent supposed to go further than your supply will allow. supply = fuel iirc

I understand this part. However, it looks like scouts always have zero supply, so the game flip-flops between telling you they're in supply or out, and they can't seem to make full moves.
If they're in a friendly system, or an alien system with whom you have a free travel treaty, then they're considered in supply. Just team your scouts with a freighter-type ship (or more than one, if you really want to) in order to extend their effective range. The supply range is shared between the ships in a given fleet, and the more cargo bays you have, the greater average range you'll have before resupplying is needed. Ideally, a scout or two in a fleet with a large freighter-type ship (i.e loaded with cargo bays) will have a decent range, and a few of these teams can scout the neighborhood relatively quickly.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

The scoutd should have a built in supply, it is a scout ship after all.

Good idea if I do say so.

pinback
Explorer
Explorer

Post by pinback »

What is the effect of being out of supply?

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by CrispyMouse »

You move slower, and if you have missiles on board they don't restock between turns.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Once you are out of supply range, re-supply time takes longer than supplies needed for your fleet to function efficiently.

If you are 1 turn away in distance, for 1 turn you are lacking in supplies. If you are 5 turns away then when your supplies run out you have to wait 5 turns for new supplies. Basically the supply line is being stretched.

While out-of-supplies you are affected by ships moving slower (assumed so they can conserve more and/or gather resources they need). Crew/ammo can't be replenished until new supplies arrive, repairs are also affected with only core systems being repaired while out of supplies.

So supply lines play a very important role especially when war becomes more common :mrgreen:
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

pinback
Explorer
Explorer

Post by pinback »

Zaimat wrote:Once you are out of supply range, re-supply time takes longer than supplies needed for your fleet to function efficiently.

If you are 1 turn away in distance, for 1 turn you are lacking in supplies. If you are 5 turns away then when your supplies run out you have to wait 5 turns for new supplies. Basically the supply line is being stretched.

While out-of-supplies you are affected by ships moving slower (assumed so they can conserve more and/or gather resources they need). Crew/ammo can't be replenished until new supplies arrive, repairs are also affected with only core systems being repaired while out of supplies.

So supply lines play a very important role especially when war becomes more common :mrgreen:
This is great info, thanks. Can you confirm/deny that scouts really do have zero supply, so that no matter where they move, after one move it will say "scout T12 is out of supply"?

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jorgen_cab »

I can confidently say that small ships lack the space for a cargo module. So exploring space with a single small vessel is hard to do.

In my opinion this does not have to be a bad thing, it would be realistic if exploration was done with more than one ship and a larger ship for repair and support. Especially if you know space can be dangerous.

Scouts in this game are still useful for scouting ahead of task-forces in tactical battles. Making sure you are not flanked by an enemy and so on.

I have yet to engage in any serious fighting, but this is all my presumptions anyway.

pinback
Explorer
Explorer

Post by pinback »

It just seems a departure from every other space 4x I can recall. Isn't the first thing you do in any of these games to build a few scouts and fire 'em at nearby stars?

I know you can do the same thing in Horizon, but not without it telling you your scouts are out of supply every other turn.

Dunno. Not totally clear on the supply issue yet, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jorgen_cab »

As far as I can tell scout ships in Horizon are a tactical tool and not a strategic one.

This means that it is suppose to scout systems and find enemies in combat without wasting lots of resources if they are overwhelmed. They are also fast and can get out of a bind if needed etc..

I see them as a tactical asset well worth using for tactical purposes.

If you want a single ship then you will have to build a medium ship and send it off to scout. But pairing it with a few scouts will make surveying go faster, or at least that is my belief so far.

SugeBearX
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SugeBearX »

Just wanted to drop in and say I LOVE the way supply lines work in the game. That being said, the resupply filter needs to stand out more when it is applied at the same time as the scanner filter.