Suggestion to Scout Class Hulls

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestion to Scout Class Hulls

Post by Lithari »

Hiya,

I am suggesting that they add an extra 30 space, so you can put in atleast a single cargo bay on the ship, unless they expect you to have a starbase prior to building a scout ship....

Spazticus
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Suggestion to Scout Class Hulls

Post by Spazticus »

I don't know if this idea would work out as intended, because a lot of players will just think, "Great! I can fit more weapons!" and do just that, making a bunch of glass cannon scout ships for system defense or swarm tactics.

As an alternative suggestion: Keep the scout's weight limit the same, but add in a miniature version of the cargo bay. If said cargo bay provided a smaller amount of supply, only had a weight of 10, and was limited to only the Scout class...I think that could work. Players would have to decide whether to sacrifice damage output for extended travel range. As I and others have found, scout(s) paired with a freighter (or two) will greatly extend their range; but then you have the cost in upkeep on the freighter to maintain, as well.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

I didn't think of that, how about a specially designed engine or something, since I see no point in building scout ships due to their severely limited range, I mean, they could add in an extended range engine or something, build into the scout class ships or limited to scout class ships.

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jorgen_cab »

In my opinion they are good as they are... why do you send a "tactical" scout ship alone on a "strategic" mission?

I find the current solution quite refreshing. Sending small ships to explore without a serious thought behind is just unrealistic, that is why I find this approach enjoyable.

Just because it has been so in most other games does not mean it has to be in every game and its not true for all 4x space games.

Tssha
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Tssha »

If it has to be different, the devs should add this to the tutorial. Once you're able to spread beyond the Solar System, anyway.

Remember, folks are going to be coming to this either with the wrong habits, or no habits at all. The Tutorial is supposed to teach people how to play the game, so, it should tell them that sending out solo scout ships won't work in this game, and provide a suggested framework they can use for scout fleets. :wink:

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jorgen_cab »

That is a very good suggestion in my opinion! :)