Ancient Civ Financial Ruin

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Cumberlow
Vanguard
Vanguard

Ancient Civ Financial Ruin

Post by Cumberlow »

I don't know if this is intended or a bug, but after colonizing a planet with ancient civ and turning it into my first colony a number of upgrades (e.g. Farms, research, construction, trade etc.) started repairing which is fine. However, I then started losing ~5 m.c. every other turn which quickly bankrupted me. Financial breakdown did not show where this loss was coming from. I assume it was from the repairing structures? Anyway, that was a very quick game over.

DimitriFilichkin
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Ancient Civ Financial Ruin

Post by DimitriFilichkin »

I had the same issue, but fortunately it was late enough in the game to take the hit since I was making a few billion creds per turn. When the upgrades were repaired you were then charged with the maintenance of the advanced structures, which for some of the better ones can be up to a bil-turn. They usually rake in much more then they cost, but the planet in question was either not appropriate for the upgrades it came with, or you ran out of money before the economy could catch up to your upgrades.

As it is, I find it very hard to determine if something will turn a profit, and wind up just building everything and keeping whatever sticks, then scraping the rest. I have seen planets with abundant resources and gem deposits that hemorrhage money from industry upgrades, perfectly placed systems that have non-existent trade, and tourism is the most fickle thing you can build, with it either pulling in credits by the dump truck, or bleeding money like Uncle Sam in a busy day in congress.
Personally, I would like to see more detail gone into the colony management, since as it is i'm not sure what KIND of industry is being built, if it's a mining industry then gems should make it turn a profit, if it's manufacturing then that could make sense, but I don't have the option to export minerals for another planet to use.
I would propose that when you build an upgrade, you choose what focus it has. Building in industry would give you the option for mining, which would exploit gems and minerals to the detriment of intercultural efficiency and tourism, consumer production, which would build nicknacks, furniture, and Happy meal toys which would give a bonus to trade, and get a bonus from tourism, or military industry, which would grant a massive bonus to ship production and decrease upkeep costs of defenses and ships within the system. The same could be done with all the upgrades, such as focusing trade on free economy for more credits, or building government supply docks for lowering upkeep costs of nearby colonies, and agriculture could focus on bio-fuels to boost industry, luxury foods that boost trade, or fast food that would get a bonus from tourism. It would also be neat if you could arrange for food to be imported or exported, so I could make a massive agricultural world, which has an industry of mass food production and industrial farms exporting food to a massive manufactorum that pumps out cheap lead-filled toys to be sold in fast food meals sold on my food court planet that is dedicated to tourism. Would be amazing, and open up some neat opportunities for war strategies, such as cutting off food supplies and "seiging" entire regions of space, or crippling a war-mongering race's fleet production capacity without grinding away on ten systems.