my first experince with Horizon

General Discussions
kannbaba
Voyager
Voyager

my first experince with Horizon

Post by kannbaba »

today i spent some hours playing the game. yet it was a very very dull experience :(

1) i could not find a tech tree? what i research were only the improvements of existing technologies. i want o see branches, super endgame techs which yields enormous powers to the player so that i crave to learn them. that is the meaning of research to me.

2) what's supply? where's my supply borders starts and ends? it was not clear. having seen my ships crawling was not a good experience for a starter. SoTS solved this problem by showing the remaining range and tanker units.
edit: re-supply legend on the map is not working.

3) having auto-upgrade was near a starbase was cool.

4) infrastructure improvements were super dull. no varied choices to go. all infrastructure layout was already known. there is no research aspect. rather than seeing "abundant resources" i have no clue about the planets bonus to production.. or farming.. i'd like to see the planet traits and their clearly explained effects on morale, pop growth, production, research, farming, combat, etc.

5) tactical combat.. was not to my liking i'm afraid. too simplistic. even endless space's dull non-combat is better than this combat :(

6) demo was far too long and boring.

7) there are two asteroid belts in solar system and Pluto is not a planet but one sizable asteroid in the outer belt. introducing (both solar system and other systems) those two asteroid belts (mining) can improve the planet types.

8 ) ship types are frustrating. having all types available at the beginning is again dull. i want to research them. i want to choose which type of ship i want to have. besides ship customization screen needs more polished. (SotS) after spending hours of play to research a deadly weapon type, it should be just a simple text but a super sexy looking weapon graphic on ship..

9) "design" button should be a placed on the map near tech. its current place in planet development screen in not correct.

10) terraforming and planet types. the reason for humans to settle only on some planet types are not explained, not at the beginning of race selection nor during the game. it should be clearly explained.

guys..omg! there's so much to do...

Zalthun
Vanguard
Vanguard

Re: my first experince with Horizon

Post by Zalthun »

kannbaba wrote:
1) i could not find a tech tree? what i research were only the improvements of existing technologies. i want o see branches, super endgame techs which yields enormous powers to the player so that i crave to learn them. that is the meaning of research to me.
Click the technology button on the main screen. The research in this game is cool in that it is different. Instead of just researching one thing at a time like a river, it's ALSO researching everything else, like a tide. There's synergy in fields, for example, with field focus. That's cool!
kannbaba wrote: 2) what's supply? where's my supply borders starts and ends? it was not clear. having seen my ships crawling was not a good experience for a starter. SoTS solved this problem by showing the remaining range and tanker units.
edit: re-supply legend on the map is not working.
Supply is 'quick movement' with ships. Think of it like fuel in SotS, only with a chain of invisible tankers renewing it when it runs out.
kannbaba wrote: 3) having auto-upgrade was near a starbase was cool.
Very! Not having to just scrap old ships, or pay a fortune to refit them, was hot.
kannbaba wrote: 4) infrastructure improvements were super dull. no varied choices to go. all infrastructure layout was already known. there is no research aspect. rather than seeing "abundant resources" i have no clue about the planets bonus to production.. or farming.. i'd like to see the planet traits and their clearly explained effects on morale, pop growth, production, research, farming, combat, etc.
That would be nice. Having to DECIDE what you want a planet to specialize in, and having unique resources and their impacts on worlds would be very cool. Suppose one of the quirks was 'Megabeasts', and they were like dinosaurs... Early on, they'd pose problems, stomping things, eating people, etc...but once they got under control, you might get 'Megabeast Transporation' or 'Megabeast Food Source' or even 'Megabeast War Riders' as some kind of ground unit defender, or something to take to other worlds for ground combat.

Hey, yeah, that's the one that you wanted, right?
kannbaba wrote: 5) tactical combat.. was not to my liking i'm afraid. too simplistic. even endless space's dull non-combat is better than this combat :(
Maybe, for now, but this one has more tactical options. In this, you can concentrate fire on single ships, etc...
kannbaba wrote: 6) demo was far too long and boring.
Demo?
kannbaba wrote: 7) there are two asteroid belts in solar system and Pluto is not a planet but one sizable asteroid in the outer belt. introducing (both solar system and other systems) those two asteroid belts (mining) can improve the planet types.
Please talk more about this? I'm not even a Dev, and I'm curious!
kannbaba wrote: 8 ) ship types are frustrating. having all types available at the beginning is again dull. i want to research them. i want to choose which type of ship i want to have. besides ship customization screen needs more polished. (SotS) after spending hours of play to research a deadly weapon type, it should be just a simple text but a super sexy looking weapon graphic on ship..
Remember in SotS how much it stank when you had cruisers only, be they awesome cruisers, and the enemy had dreadnaughts? Let's not do that...

Also, weapons do have different looks, depending on type, but more physical model changes would look cool, if not be extra artwork. The 'need' for this should be weighed against the need for other things, don't you think?
kannbaba wrote: 9) "design" button should be a placed on the map near tech. its current place in planet development screen in not correct.
Yes, this.
kannbaba wrote: 10) terraforming and planet types. the reason for humans to settle only on some planet types are not explained, not at the beginning of race selection nor during the game. it should be clearly explained.
Yes, this too.
kannbaba wrote: guys..omg! there's so much to do...
That's why it's an Alpha release.
Emperor PayPatine out!