Game Won't Start

Report bugs or help with technical issues
Deany
Voyager
Voyager

Game Won't Start

Post by Deany »

Hi, 1st off i'd like to apologize in advance if i've missed something i have searched but i can't find any post about this problem.

Recently bought the game (few hours ago) whenever i attempt to start the game up through steam or other means such as directly through the .exe i simply have a small box come up stating Horizon Launcher has stopped Working i have already read through a post recommending going to the _CommonRedist folder in horizon and installing the 3 separate programs manually however this has also not helped i have attempted re-installing the game twice and i have attempted deleting the .ini in documents/horizon/logs i have run out of ideas (lol) and im hoping someone can help, further more for some odd reason the ErrorReportingTool.exe also seems to hate me as it also seems not to want to work correctly upon opening it claims to be gathering info however given 30 secs or so it pops up a box telling me it could not load file or assembly sorttbls.nlp or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. it crashes on clicking dont send.... any help anyone? or am i doomed to watch others play what looks to be a spectacular 4x game on youtube :(

Deany
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Game Won't Start

Post by Deany »

Update - For some odd reason the Launcher - Safemode.cmd has started working its a step in the right direction but i didn't do anything so now im just more confused

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Welcome Deany,

If you are able to run the "Launcher - Safemode" it skips the launcher completely. Both The ErrorReportingTool.exe and the Launcher.exe use Microsoft .NET 3.5 and it seems like it's broken or misbehaving on your PC.

Do you happen to have Windows 7 or another OS? You can try following the steps in this article to try and fix it:

You can use the section: To Repair Manually from GUI
http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsen ... mework-3-5

Let us know how it fares and hopefully you can fully enjoy Horizon!
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Deany
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Deany »

Thankyou for your reply i had a feeling it may be .net framework and as such tried 3.5, 4 and 4.5 to no avail, i will however read through the link you've left me and hopefully it works, will keep you updated, thanks for your time

And im using windows 7

CellNav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CellNav »

Zaimat,

Could Deany's problem be related to my launcher error I had back in August? Here's the link from that issue from page 2 of the Support thread...

Launcher Error ... http://forum.l3o.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=816

You sent me a new launcher EXE which worked back then. I have Win 7 playing through Steam. Perhaps Deany is in the same boat?
Don't let me wake up and catch you sleeping !!!

Deany
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Deany »

Zaimat,

Hi unfortunately no luck as of yet, i've re installed .net framework 3.5 a few times i've ran the tools on the website you provided and no luck there after following the sites instructions, i have other games that do use .netframework so i think it may not be the problem but who knows im no expert hopfully you have some more ideas because im stumped :(

CellNav,

i had read through your thread before posting my own thanks for your input i dont think its the same problem but...never know it might be that simple lol.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Deany,

Does the message "Could not load file or assembly sorttbls.nlp or one of its dependencies" come up with the Launcher as well?

Other suggestions you can try:
- Run Windows Update to check if there are any updates to install. "Start > Control Panel > Windows Update"
- Run this windows command to check the integrity of files: "Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right-Click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator > Type: sfc /scannow

If none of these work, I'm also out of ideas. We can try what we did with CellNav, in fact there is going to be a patch soon in the test branch you can try that also.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

are you running this as an admin?

if not it sounds to me like something is fiddiling with your system. my first steps (after restarting) would be running rkill, malwarebytes and tds killer just to see if they pick up anything.

the absolute last resort would be reinstalling windows from the ground up. formated hardrive and everything. best be prepared for that, flash drive with drivers on it ect.
=(^.-.^)=

" A person can look for their one true love and find them, but could they look like the one true love for the person they find. " - Fairin