Standard Orbit

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Zalthun
Vanguard
Vanguard

Standard Orbit

Post by Zalthun »

Would it make sense for any colonizers entering a friendly system to auto-magically decide, unless told not to, to go orbit the nearest best economy planet with a starbase? That way even if you forgot to tell them "Hey, and make sure you go refit your colony pods." they'd do it? For that matter, shouldn't ALL your ships, on entering a friendly system, make some sort of bee-line for the nearest starbase/port? That would get them refitted without that much more micromanagement.

TL;DR: Please make ships auto-orbit a planet with a starbase on entry to a friendly system.
Emperor PayPatine out!

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Standard Orbit

Post by Fairin »

unless specifically ordered to orbit another! =)

personally i'd like to remove the key commands nessary and have right click move to system, or orbit planet depending on which i moused over

and a right click menu for a planet (survey / colonize / examine / bombard / invade ect) with all fleets active in system.
=(^.-.^)=

" A person can look for their one true love and find them, but could they look like the one true love for the person they find. " - Fairin

Zalthun
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Zalthun »

Bump for Dev eye.
Emperor PayPatine out!

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Zalthun wrote:Would it make sense for any colonizers entering a friendly system to auto-magically decide, unless told not to, to go orbit the nearest best economy planet with a starbase?
We can do this and it should be a good change, it would be for all task forces that don't have specific orders, not just colonizers. I don't really see a problem.
Fairin wrote:personally i'd like to remove the key commands necessary and have right click move to system, or orbit planet depending on which i moused over and a right click menu for a planet (survey / colonize / examine / bombard / invade ect) with all fleets active in system.
The right-click is currently used to cancel the current selection. If we change that we could use right-click for setting move orders (although unlike the strict move order, you won't get a preview of the system and it won't hide the task force panel if it's in the way). We can also do the same for Survey/(Orbit if already surveyed) planet if you right-click on one of the planets, or survey system if you right-click on the sun.

If we were to add a right-click menu for either, it would add an extra click (no different than choosing an order first just an additional way of doing things which is ok in itself but is less novice friendly so both would have to stay).
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

angelofwrath
Voyager
Voyager

Post by angelofwrath »

Zaimat wrote:The right-click is currently used to cancel the current selection.
But not in every screen. In the tech screen right-click gives info which I never figured out but, someone was kind enough to put me out of my misery because I just assumed that because right-click cancels the current action on the map that it would exit the tech screen. To me this was confusing. I like continuity with key mapping. To have a button do something different on different screens can be confusing to me personally. I will get used to it over time but.... To me it should always cancel or always give additional info, that way if I need info just right click, if I need to cancel just right click and so on.

Zalthun
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Zalthun »

Zaimat wrote:
Zalthun wrote:Would it make sense for any colonizers entering a friendly system to auto-magically decide, unless told not to, to go orbit the nearest best economy planet with a starbase?
We can do this and it should be a good change, it would be for all task forces that don't have specific orders, not just colonizers. I don't really see a problem.

YAY! Thank you, Ziamat!
Emperor PayPatine out!